Tuesday 15 February 2011

Evaluation Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

As my chosen genre for the film opening was horror i had to consider how the characters were represented. For my opening, my character is represented as the helpless victim, typically found in the majority of today's horror movies. It is very stereotypical that the character that dies or disappears is a young helpless female.

The way I have presented the character sends the right messages to the audience, allowing them to understand she is the main character that its a horror opening. These messages were created through costume, the character wears normal every day clothes, suggesting she isn't a wealthy person with posh attire. Clearly from the footage, our character doesn't give any indication of occupation or how she acts outside of home but her behaviour does show that shes a nice girl living on her own. The location isn't really seen in the opening just it is slightly isolated from a village which, if in the video would add a bit more atmosphere.

My video certainly represents a dominant representation of female victims . As I have said, the way I have focused the video The sound that I have used makes the female seem very isolated and alone especially with no indication of the female character living with anyone.
The video starts off with a montage of the characters house. With how I did the cinematography makes her house seem creepy and gives it a feel that something is there.
Straight after this clip then comes a dead fish in a stagnant pond. I only found this by chance but along side the previous clip adds tension and gives the idea of death. This links into the stereotypical idea of a vulnerable female as it  gives the audience

Friends who have viewed the video already have commented on how the music really emphasizes the creepy atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment